Account Documentation Series:
Closing or Changing Deposit Accounts for Consumers & Businesses
Thursday, July 13, 2017
12:00 pm – 1:30 pm PT
1:00 pm – 2:30 pm MT
2:00 pm – 3:30 pm CT
3:00 pm – 4:30 pm ET
Financial institutions routinely open deposit accounts for consumers and businesses and the rules for providing account disclosures, deposit agreements, and signature cards are well established. However, the legal and compliance issues involved with closing accounts are often more complicated. Why? Because there are situations ranging from accountholder death, suspected fraud or money laundering, disputes between account owners, and requests to levy funds. This session will address two focal areas. First will be the challenges of closing or changing consumer accounts. Second will be specific complexities regarding various ownership categories of business deposit accounts.
Continuing Education: Attendance verification for CE credits upon request
- Consumer account basics
- Joint accountholder issues - who has authority to change and close an account?
- Best practices for changing signers and signature card basics
- Handling checks made payable to a deceased person
- BSA issues
- Closing an account for failing to provide required CIP documentation
- Closing an account for suspicious activity (FinCEN guidance and working with law enforcement)
- Best practices for closing consumer and business accounts and related BSA exam procedures
- Business account basics
- CIP rules for business accounts
- Opening, changing, and closing sole proprietor, partnership, LLC, and corporate accounts
- Death of a business owner and types of business ownership categories
- TAKE-AWAY TOOLKIT
- Account owner/authorized signer information worksheet
- New account checklist
- CIP acceptable identification checklist
- Authorization to close account form and checklist
- Death notification form for consumer accounts and procedures
- Federal garnishment notice form
- Account closure form letter
- Employee training log
- Quiz you can administer to measure staff learning and a separate answer key
Don’t Miss the Other Account Documentation Series Webinars!
|Sign up for the entire series and receive 6 webinars for the price of 5!|
|Click here to learn more about the Account Documentation Series|
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
This informative session is designed for new accounts representatives, call service representatives, branch managers, assistant branch managers, branch administration, deposit operations, BSA/CIP staff, and anyone who works with new accounts.
PLEASE NOTE: Program content is subject to copyright and intended for your individual financial institution’s use only.
MEET THE PRESENTER
We provide bank webinars on compliance, lending, regulations, security, operations, new accounts, collections, fraud, security & other topics. For more information on bank education and online training opportunities, join our mailing list.