IRA Conversions & Recharacterizations: Understanding Requirements & Avoiding Errors
Tuesday, August 30, 2016
12:00 pm – 1:30 pm PT
1:00 pm – 2:30 pm MT
2:00 pm – 3:30 pm CT
3:00 pm – 4:30 pm ET
The difference between an IRA conversion and an IRA recharacterization contribution can be confusing to customers and tax advisors. The allowable methods to correct excess contributions and the deadlines to avoid excess contribution penalties can also be perplexing and difficult to explain.
After this session there will be no need to avoid customers who ask about an IRA conversion or recharacterization, or ask for assistance with correcting an IRA excess contribution. This session will demystify these three concepts and provide the knowledge necessary to confidently handle customer requests. For individuals who have operational or reporting responsibilities, this session will provide a thorough understanding of your important responsibilities.
Continuing Education: Attendance verification for CE credits upon request
- Differences between a conversion and a recharacterization
- Properly reporting conversions and recharacterizations
- Deadline for recharacterizing an IRA contribution
- Concept and consequences of a failed IRA conversion
- Reasons behind customer conversion and recharacterization contributions
- Difference between a true and deemed IRA excess contribution
- How to properly correct IRA excess contributions and report the correction
- Penalties for failing to timely correct IRA excess contributions
- How certain excess contributions may be corrected through recharacterization
- TAKE-AWAY TOOLKIT
- Employee training log
- Quiz you can administer to measure staff learning and a separate answer key
DON’T MISS THIS RELATED WEBINAR!
|"Top 10 IRA Issues: Compliance, Reporting, Death & Distributions"
on Wednesday, November 30, 2016
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
This session will provide customer service staff, managers, licensed insurance representatives, and registered representatives with the information needed to confidently assist customers with questions regarding a conversion or recharacterization transaction, and also properly discuss the options for the removal of an IRA excess or unwanted contribution. Individuals with IRA operational or compliance responsibilities will also gain the knowledge required to properly process and report conversion or recharacterization transactions and excess IRA contribution corrections.
PLEASE NOTE: Webinar content is subject to copyright and intended for your individual financial institution’s use only.