12:00 pm – 1:30 pm PT
1:00 pm – 2:30 pm MT
2:00 pm – 3:30 pm CT
3:00 pm – 4:30 pm ET
Most financial institutions permit payable-on-death accounts. POD accounts are easy to open, but aren’t so easy when managing the compliance issues and funds distributions when the account owner dies. When an account has a POD designation, your institution must ensure that 1) the proper beneficiaries receive the account’s funds upon the account owner’s death and 2) the proper steps have been followed and the necessary information has been obtained before disbursement.
This webinar will explain every aspect of POD accounts, including proper account-opening documentation, information to obtain after the account owner dies, and how to distribute the funds. It will also address situations like when the POD beneficiary has predeceased the account owner or when your institution wants to set off the POD account for the deceased account owner’s debt.
Attendance certificate provided to self-report CE credits.
- What information should be obtained about the POD beneficiary at account opening?
- What rights does the POD beneficiary have to the account before the account owner’s death?
- Does the POD beneficiary need to consent to the pledge of the account by the account owner?
- What documentation is needed before you can pay the funds to the POD beneficiary?
- What happens if the POD beneficiary predeceases the account owner?
- Does the deceased account owner’s estate have any rights to the POD account?
- Does your institution have a right of setoff against the POD account for the deceased owner’s debts?
- TAKE-AWAY TOOLKIT
- Checklist of items to obtain when opening a POD account
- Items to obtain when distributing funds to POD beneficiaries
- Employee training log
- Interactive quiz
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
This informative session will benefit all deposit operations personnel, account service representatives, tellers, compliance staff, auditors, attorneys, and managers.
DON'T MISS THIS RELATED WEBINAR!
|"When a Depositor Dies: Legal Requirements, Practical Issues & FAQs"
Tuesday, October 8, 2019
NOTE: All materials are subject to copyright. Transmission, retransmission, or republishing of any webinar to other institutions or those not employed by your financial institution is prohibited. Print materials may be copied for eligible participants only.